Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to all your questions about filming in Maine.

Shooting In Maine

How can I get to Maine?
Bangor and Portland have the major international airports with many daily scheduled commercial flights. Flights from New York City take less than one hour to get to Maine.

There are 58 airports and 24 seaplane bases in Maine.

Portland is served by the DownEaster train service, which originates in Boston. Information on this service is available by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or by searching the Amtrak website at

Many production professionals, particularly from New York or other New England states, drive to Maine. The largest highway leading to Maine is Interstate 95. Driving from New York City to Maine takes approximately 5 hours. From Boston, is a two-hour drive.

Where can I find accommodations for cast and crew?
The Maine Film Office can help you set up appropriate accommodations for your cast and crew. Maine, as a tourism hub, has many properties statewide. To search for properties in specific areas, you can check the Maine Office of Tourism website at You can also search the web site of the Maine Tourism Association at and you can contact the Maine Innkeepers' Association at (207) 773-7670 and check the association website at

The Maine Film Office also keeps a listing of film-friendly accommodations in Maine. To be listed, these properties must have experience hosting film and TV projects; must provide special amenities for production crews; and be willing to negotiate prices for cast and crew. You can search for Film-Friendly Accommodations in the Support Services section of our On-Line Production Guide.

Where are Maine's airports?
Bangor and Portland have international airports with many daily scheduled commercial flights. In addition to Maine's six major airports listed below there are 49 smaller airports and 24 seaplane bases serving other areas of the state.

Anthony Caruso, Director
Phone: 207-947-0384

Paul Bradbury, Jetport Director
Phone: 207-874-8877
Augusta State Airport
John Guimond, Manager
Phone: 207-626-2306

Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport
Rick Lanman, Airport Manager
Phone 207-786-0631

Maine Instrument Flight (fixed base operator)
John Wagner
Phone: 888-643-3597

Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport
Allison Rogers, Airport Manager
Phone: 207-667-7329

Columbia Air Services (fixed base operator)
Leroy Muise, manager
Phone: 207-667-5534

Northern Aroostook Regional Airport (Frenchville)
David Fernald, Manager
Phone: 207-543-6300

Knox County Regional Airport (Rockland)
Jeff Northgraves, Manager
Phone: 207-594-4131

Northern Maine Regional Airport (Presque Isle)
Scott Wardwell, Airport Director
Phone: 207-764-2550

Brunswick Executive Airport
Marty McMahon, Manager
Phone: 207-607-4187

Please check under Support Services: Aviation for further information about aerial services.

How do I contact Maine's Chambers of Commerce?
Maine's local and regional Chambers of Commerce can be very helpful to visiting producers.

To find the chambers for the communities in which you will be filming, click on the website for the Maine State Chamber of Commerce at

The Maine State Chamber of Commerce can also be reached at:

Phone: 207-623-4568
Fax: 207-622-7723

What are the child-labor laws in Maine and who should I call about them?
Maine Dept. of Labor
Rachel Bowler
Phone: 207- 623-7930

Child actors are exempt from most standard labor laws and hourly restrictions. However, it is expected that the health, well-being and safety of the child will be upheld and all children will be adequately supervised. If a child is working at any time of year, including vacation time, a work permit is required.

Child actors who live in Maine must apply for a work permit from the superintendent of the school district where the minor resides. Child actors who live outside of Maine must apply for a work permit from the superintendent of the school district where the filming will take place. Please allow at least 5 work days to obtain the child's work permit.

You will need these original supporting documents to apply for a work permit:

  1. child's birth certificate or passport
  2. child's social security number
  3. letter of consent from parent or legal guardian
  4. letter from child's school system regarding child's ability to work and achieve educational standards. (If child is six years old or older)
At the end of the project you are required to cancel the permit. Do this by contacting the Bureau of Labor Standards by phone or mail (Station 45, Augusta, ME 04333 207/623-7900). You will need to provide the work permit number and/or the name and social security number of the minor involved.

Climate and Weather
Maine is a four-season state, each season having its own special beauty. Maine has one of the most comfortable statewide summer climates in the United States. Summer days are pleasantly warm and sunny. Nights are cool and comfortable. As the apples ripen each fall, Maine's leaves turn, spreading reds and golds across Maine's countryside. Although the winters can be cold, they are beautiful and sunny and people enjoy outdoor recreation all winter long. Because Maine is prepared for winter weather, business proceeds as usual. Maine's renowned clean air and moderate temperatures are part of what makes it “Vacationland.”

Maine's weather can vary greatly depending on season and location. For specific weather information, contact:

National Weather Service
207-688-3210 (recording-Portland weather)

Greg Zelinski
State Climatologist

Sunrise and Sunset information
Camden, Maine
(date shown for the 15th day of each month, Eastern Standard Time)

Sunrise and Sunset information in Maine
Camden, Maine Sunrise Sunset
January 7:09 a.m. 4:23 p.m.
February 6:37 a.m. 5:05 p.m.
March 5:48 a.m. 5:43 p.m.
April 4:52 a.m. 6:21 p.m.
May 4:09 a.m. 6:57 p.m.
June 3:52 a.m. 7:22 p.m.
July 4:07 a.m. 7:17 p.m.
August 4:40 a.m. 6:40 p.m.
September 5:16 a.m. 5:46 p.m.
October 5:52 a.m. 4:52 p.m.
November 6:32 a.m. 4:09 p.m.
December 7:05 a.m. 3:58 p.m.

Other Resources

Road Conditions
Department of Transportation

Phone: 207-624-3595
(Throughout state)

207-780-6991 (winter)

Can I find needed crew members in Maine?
Due to the increase in film production in Maine, many skilled professionals are now available locally. Non-union, union and mixed crews all work in Maine. In many cases, crew members from across New England will travel to Maine to work on projects.

Do I need to have insurance to film in Maine?
The Maine Film Office requires that all productions (film, video and still) have a certificate of insurance on file at the Film Office prior to shooting in Maine.

Who do I call for permits to use explosives and explosive special effects?
To get state permits to transport, store and use explosives or explosive special effects, you must contact:

Stephen McCausland
Maine Department of Public Safety
Phone: 207-626-3811

What are the rules for hiring union labor in Maine?
If a company filming in Maine has signed agreements with any industry unions, then that company must abide by its agreements while in Maine.

However, if a company is not a signator to a particular union's agreement, then that production is not obligated to hire members of that union.

A non-signator company may draw from the non-union labor pool or sign a one-time agreement with particular unions.

For information on the unions operating in Maine, check out the "Unions/Guilds" chapter in the database.

Do I have to pay location fees and clearances in Maine?
The State of Maine does not charge a general location fee.

Portland, Maine has set fees for the use of public property as locations. These fees are generally small. For information, contact Ted Musgrave (

Some parks and public areas may require a one-time fee or ask for a donation for the use of property.

Location fees can be charged by individual property owners. While the Maine Film Office can help with information about those fees, the office cannot help negotiate such fees for a production.

Where can I get location photographs of Maine?
We have scouted hundreds of locations of all types throughout the state and will gladly share our photographs, videotapes and other information, at no charge, with film-makers considering shooting in Maine.

In addition, the Maine Film Office can help you find Maine-based location scouts to help you with more detailed scouting projects.

Useful Maine Facts
Maine's natural wealth includes mountains, coastlines, northern forest, farms, rivers, lakes, historic villages and cities.

The state is one hour by air from New York City.

Commercial scheduled flights serve Maine's major cities and charter flights can bring you to 49 smaller airports and 24 seaplane bases serving other areas of the state.

Maine has 3,500 miles of coastline with over 2,000 coastal islands and 65 lighthouses, including Portland Head Light, one of the nation's oldest lights.

There are 436,064 acres of state and national parks, including Acadia National Park and the 92-mile Allagash Wilderness Waterway.

Maine lobsters are the finest in the world due to cool, clear waters providing the perfect environment.

The state boasts 6,000 lakes and ponds and 5,100 rivers and streams, many abounding with landlocked salmon, trout, small-mouthed bass, pickerel and perch.

One of Maine's mountains, Mt. Katahdin, is almost one mile high.

Maine is 320 miles long and 210 miles wide and has a total area of 33,215 square miles - as big as all of the other five New England states combined.

Maine people produce everything from handmade quilts to high-tech ships.

The mountains of Maine host more than 25 ski areas.

The southern Maine town of York was chartered in 1641, making it the nation's oldest.

Maine's State Bird: Chickadee

Do I have to get a permit to film in Maine?
The State of Maine government does not require you to have a general filming permit to work in our state. However, productions must fill out a Maine Media Production Registration form and fax it to the Maine Film Office prior to production. Download the form

To film in Maine State Parks, for example, you will need a free Special Use permit. You can contact either Ron Hunt for southern park locations (207-624-6077) or Mike Leighton for northern area parks (207-941-4014).

Baxter State Park closely controls commercial production and accepts productions only on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact Jensen Bissell or Jean Hoekwater at (207)723-9500.

Acadia National Park is a popular location for film and TV projects. However, filming in the park requires careful coordination and a special-use permit. Park officials actively discourage production work during busy periods. Aerial photography is rarely allowed and is tightly controlled in the park. For more information, call Leslie Ann Dykes (207-288-8791).

Portland, Maine requires filming permits. For information, contact Ted Musgrave at the City of Portland (207-756-8275). Contact the town or city officials in the areas in which you will film to check on other local permit requirements.

Can I film in Maine's parks and public lands?
Many productions have used Maine's public lands as locations. The state's public lands are controlled by various local, regional, state and federal agencies. Federal lands are controlled by agencies including the National Park Service, the US Forest Service and the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Maine Film Office can help you track down the ownership of many public lands.

Maine State Parks
Many of Maine's State Parks are available fee-free. To use them, you must first get a free Special Use Permit.

For Special use Permit form and more information on southern and central Maine State Parks, contact:

Ron Hunt
Phone: (207) 624-6077

For Special Use Permit form and more information on Northern Maine Parks, contact:

Mike Leighton
Phone: (207) 941-4014

Baxter State Park
Baxter State Park is Maine's largest. Because of strict park-protection rules, commercial production is tightly controlled and allowed only on a case-by-case basis.

For more information about Baxter State Park, contact:

Jensen Bissell
Director, Baxter State Park
Phone: (207) 723-5140

Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park on Mt. Desert is Maine's only national park. This small, coastal park is one of the most popular on the Eastern Seaboard.

Before doing any commercial filming in Acadia, you must have a permit from park managers. For information, contact Leslie Ann Dykes:

Phone: (207) 288-8791

White Mountain National Forest
The White Mountain National Forest straddles the Maine/New Hampshire border. The forest includes many scenic areas including a number of scenic mountain drives. For information about filming in the Maine section, contact:

White Mountain National Forest
Evans Notch office
Phone: (207) 824-2134


Herm Wagner
Supervisor's Office
Phone: (603) 528-8721

Who do I call about paying taxes in Maine?
Before you shoot in Maine, contact the Bureau of Taxation at (207) 626-8475, Option 4. Withholding tax for Maine resident and non-resident employees may be required.

Contact the Bureau of Labor at (207) 287-3176 for information on state unemployment tax.